Utah Man Nearly Drowns Himself with Eggnog

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.16.00 AM

Eggnog can be quite tasty (especially with some bourbon!) – but, as with everything in life, the key to enjoying a good glass of the nog is moderation.

A Utah man learned that the hard way.

Ryan Roche was just leaving his office party in Utah recently, when someone busted out some eggnog (non-alcoholic…because Utah). Ryan could not resist the dairy treat, so he stayed.

Things then got crazy (for a Utah Holiday party anyway) when an eggnog-chugging contest got started and Roche was in it to win it, “it” being a Ruth’s Chris gift card)!  Ryan ended up winning the contest but unfortunately for him, the eggnog was the real winner. KSL reports:

“I got done, and I was gasping, I couldn’t breathe.”

Roche said he was coughing a lot as he headed home, but thought he would be OK. A couple of hours later, he wasn’t so sure.

“I was pretty much shaking uncontrollably,” he said. “I was shaking so badly, I was nauseous, and my breathing became a pant.”

Roche asked a friend to take him to the hospital where it was determined he had aspirated the eggnog to his lungs and was essentially “dry drowning,” according to doctors.

“The liquid in his lungs was starting an infection. He spent 24 hours in intensive care hooked up to an IV and oxygen with a fever, sweats and chills.

“It was rough,” he said. “Eggnog: not ideal for the lungs.”

Roche spent 3 days total in the hospital and claims that it took him a full week to recover.

But, he did get a Ruth’s Chris gift card!